Friday, October 17, 2008

Zac---I'm sorry in advance

Do I have a problem telling my child "no?" Yes, I do. I try to be consistent, but today I was unsuccessful. We went to walmart and of course took a stroll down the toy aisle. Teagan loves all the toys, but which aisle did he like the best??? Dolls and barbies! My first mistake was letting him hold one of the dolls, he LOVED it. Luckily it was a boy doll, because when I told him it was time to put it back he SCREAMED and CRIED and the tears were flowing. I just felt too bad, and peer pressure was more then I could handle. There were a couple of moms who gave me the "if you let your boy have a doll it's not bad, it's not like he'll be gay" lecture. They don't realize that Zac will DIE when he finds out. Anywho, I gave it back to him because I'm the worst parent and today Teagan thinks I'm the best mom because I bought it for him, $3.

I'm hoping that he never remembers today so that he doesn't turned into one of those spoiled kids who screams when they don't get toys at the store. I need to be strong!

On a happier note, he is really funny with the doll. Especially when he tries to suck on the binkie and the baby's face.



PS: If you have a daughter, she might be getting this doll for Christmas from her cousin/friend Teagan

7 comments:

Brenda said...

I think you're a good mommy for getting it for him... not because you got hit for him because he was crying but because you let him have a dolly. I remember when I dressed Gabe as a cat for Halloween when he was 15 months old and Jorge didn't like it... it was too feminine. Feminine schmeminine...

Julie said...

I am dying laughing right now!!! Oh my goodness!

Julie said...

And look at him walking! I love it and I have to tell you, I was watching this with Kate and she was smiling the whole time and saying "baby", she loves her cousin!

daegan said...

that is funny! just DON'T call it a doll... call it his little brother or something. doll are not what you always want to see your son with, but it does teach them to be kind to other babies. and you can teach him body parts. look at the plus side! he'll get over it soon. maybe you could slowly replace it with a stuffed animal. they have some really cute cheap ones at target! zac will get over it... my husbands EXACTLY the same way. boogie put on his girl cousins pj's one night and they were super frilly and PINK. charlie about died. he didn't even smile. i thought it was hilarious!

Heidi and Matt said...

Wow, he is walking sooo well, so young. My little Malia is 14 months and just started walking about 1 month ago! My jaden is 4 and still plays with sadie's dolls once in awhile. I was scepitcal, but apparently, all little boys do it! Maybe it's a sign, Teagan needs a new baby at home!!!! :p

Erin said...

Oh Melissa...so I am in the BYU computer lab right now attempting to hold in my laughter because I can only IMAGINE Zac's reaction. And Jared's would be pretty much exactly the same. Zac was probably nicer though cause it looks like he still has the doll. Jared definitely would have made me put it in the trash. haha I just love you. :) I probably would have done the same thing.

Garth and Alicia said...

Melissa-I love it. Dolls aren't just for girls. That's like saying that women should be the only caretakers of the children. Right? That is great that Teagan is caring enough to love that little baby. He is learning to be a good daddy. Zac shouldn't be mad-Teagan may have even learned it from him!