I have to admit that visiting teaching isn't my strong point, and it never has been. I really do love to visit people, but I just don't make time for it like I should. When Zac and I started dating I was made his mom's visiting teacher. Even when I was trying to impress my boyfriends mom, I still was horrible and only visited her once or twice in 4 months.
Last night I realized why I don't make time. I went over to visit one of our ladies after my tutoring at like 8:30 and had a ton of fun, but we just kept talking and talking. I loved it, but in the back of my head I kept thinking...I need to go home, I haven't seen Zac all day, but I love talking to girls my age. It was such a dilema! Finally I left at 10:30 feeling so guilty. I felt bad cause our lady was probably ready for us to go and because Zac likes to be asleep by 10:30 (he won't go to bed without me, never has since we've been married).
The reason I don't make time is that I know I can't help myself from visiting for hours. We laugh and joke and have so much fun, but then the fam gets put on the back burner. I wish there was some way that I could have the time to do everything. I need a whole day to spend with Zac and Teagan, another whole day for my church callings, another day for tutoring and another day to put the house together, do laundry, and blog. :)
I just feel so overwhelmed. I gave a talk a while back about prioritizing your life, but I have so many important things to do I really don't know which ones are the priorities. I know blogging isn't a priority, but I'm not giving that up. It is like my breath of fresh air. Plus, the "Unity" talk at conference said blogs create unity, so I'm really just following the prophet's command. hehe.
I guess I only get 1 day though, so I'm going to make it the best day possible. Here is my priority list:
1. Zac and Teagan --> spending time with them-loving them-they are my eternal family, I don't want to screw that up!
2. Tutoring -->we do have to eat and pay rent :)
3. Church callings --> YW and visiting teaching-there are lots of other leaders in YW and only 6 girls, they might have to pick up my slack until tutoring slows down.
4. Housekeeping-->the deep cleaning like window washing, behind the fridge, and scrubbing doors and baseboards are going to have to go out the window. Dishes, bathroom, and vacuuming only. I have officially lowered my standards for having a clean house (until my inlaws come to visit of course. hehe)
5.Blogging-->15 minute activity that I don't want to put as 5, but I should. My new rule: computer doesn't get turned on until after my to-do list is done for the day. Ouch. That one's written down so I have to follow it now. I can't believe I'm doing this to myself.
Sorry, this post is more for me processing my thoughts and getting motivated to "do it all." I just keep feeling like I'm letting people down, and that isn't okay! Especially when it's Zac and Teagan! Alright, enough venting. I need to hurry and turn off the computer so I can do my to-do list!
Veggie Smoothies
16 years ago

6 comments:
I feel ya lady. The pressure to be perfect at everything kinda sucks doesn't it!
Isn't it amazing how the days seem to get shorter as we get older? I think someone is playing a trick on us. BTW: I give you permission to put blogging at #1 on your list sometimes :)
Melissa I too feel totally overwhelmed at times and that is when I go get a super big gulp of DIET COKE at 7-eleven!!!
I know what you mean about the visiting teaching--here is an idea though, if you go every month, but just make it 20-30 minutes, you still get to talk, but more often. I love talking with both the people that visit me and that I visit, but we just have to cut the conversation in the middle sometimes. That is what you gotta do--I think everyone is happier! That is what I try for!
i agree with julie on VT. girls gotta talk, but really all you need to do it see how they are, what they need, leave a message and give a friendly hello and good bye... that's VT. if more conversation is needed, then meet up another more available day... that's being a friend. i love having good conversation... especially when all it's been with is a 2 year old and nearly 4 year old all week. but the bigges thing i have learned about being stressed, trying to over achieve, trying to accomplish, and being overwhelmed in the middle of it all... that i can be a little selfish for what i need to survive.
Hey girl at least your do your VT. I miss you coming over and visiting me. Since you left I haven't been visited. I have a made a list of cleaning for me also, but it rarely gets done (even though it is written down) HaHaha.
Post a Comment