Friday, October 10, 2008

Teagan's friends...

Since we've moved down here I feel so lucky to have found some other stay at home mom friends. There are two other Ladies in the complex with babies, one is 5 months the other is 14 or 15 months. Teagan LOVES to play with them, especially the older one. So yesterday the two older ones were playing and they kept stealing toys from each other hitting and yelling and such. As new moms I have to admit that we weren't quite sure what to do. I don't think Teagan is old enough to understand "love and logic" or time out yet...or is he?

They play really well together for a while and then there is a little swat and they go back to playing...how do you teach a 10 and 15 month old to play nice? What have you tried that works or do we have to wait. Is there a book out there. I am open to any suggestions and you will not hurt my feelings...Both of us moms are awaiting your replies!!!

I'm so grateful for blogs so that I don't have to try to raise a child blind!

6 comments:

Brenda said...

This is a HARD one. Usually they are too little to understand time-out or naughty chair. I think consistency works the best. Don't let them get away with hitting/biting/toy taking... the sooner you nip this in the bud and stop the behavior the better it will be. When they are older it is best to let them figure it out but when they are young it is essential to intervene... they need to know what the social rules are for playing together. Good Luck!

Jewels said...

My 15 month old daughter likes to hit... something she picked up from her older brother no doubt. Whenever she hits, no matter who it is. I pick her up and she has to stay with me, if she keeps hitting, I hold her hand for 1 minute. No matter what you do, just make sure you explain to them that they are not being nice, and they can't play if they are not nice.

Brian and Elise said...

Actually, there is a love and logic book out there for young children. It's called "Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood". I think it's pretty good. The main thing is that you have to be consistent. I need to learn more from Brian about being consistent. I'm not very good at it. But this book has helped me. Good luck!

Reid, Megan, Jackson and Aiva said...

Yeah I think you need to let boys be boys but don't let them get too out of hand. They are still too young, distraction is your best friend right now.

Julie said...

I think just when they do something, just say no-no and teach them how to do it right, so not just saying no, but showing them the correct. I think a big part is they don't understand playing yet. Maybe a little early for time out. I loved that Love and Logic for early childhood book, it has some good ideas, but not really until around 2 it seems like.

Megan said...

I am interested to hear how you like this book, I will have to read it when you are done! Kylie and I are so grateful to get to hangout with you and Teagan, even if she's a meanie pants sometimes, she loves the interaction :)