Her Mother-In-Law was coming for the weekend to watch their baby for a few days and Manda was stressed about getting the laundry done, house cleaned, food ready ect. Not to metion that it was going to be Mom-In-Law's birthday. I noticed an opportunity to serve so I offered to make a birthday cake for her so she wouldn't have to worry so much about the birthday part.
At first I was going to make a traditional cake. I found a recipe for yellow cake and chocolate frosting at allrecipes.com (best website EVER!!!) and had it all made. Then my imagination got the better of me. I hadn't used my cake decorating kit since last christmas with Adam and Sheena (so fun!) and so I thought I could add a little color and snaz.
Well one thing lead to the next and this is what I created....
When she came to get it I was so excited and proud of myself for such a work of art, then I found out she would be taking it to a family birthday party...oops. Maybe roses or balloons would have been more appropriate for impressing the in-laws. :) I'm not sure if it counts as service anymore, dang it! Better luck next time :)
Later that day we passed a cake shop and Zac assured me that they would probably hire me on the spot if they saw the cake I made. "they'd probably pay you at least $100/hr!" Zac was always the person that believed in me.
PS- Decorating cakes is hard! I plan to get very good at it though, my frosting wouldn't stay firm...any suggestions?

8 comments:
I am actually really impressed! Wow Melissa!
Actually, I really like it! I think you did a great job! The only thing I can think of to make the frosting more firm is to put it in the fridge for a while...but then I guess it would start "melting" once you took it out and put it on the cake. What about more powdered sugar? I don't know...I'm not good at that stuff either. Way to be more service oriented, Melis! You're a great example. :)
That is so funny cuz I have been trying to get into cake decorating too! I did a little mermaid cake for my niece's second birthday and it was the most retarded looking thing I've ever seen in my life, though you could tell who it was. I'm going to try a monkey cake for Carson's birthday, so I guess we'll see if I got any better! And I think that if you use less milk the frosting gets thicker. That's what I did and it was good...
Yeah, I think more powdered sugar for the frosting. There are special frosting recipes that make stiffer frosting for cake decorating, but usually it doesn't taste very good (egg white, powdered sugar, etc) I thought it looked great though.
I thought it looked really good! You should see the cupcakes I made for my sisters birthday last week, you would be very proud of your cake if you did!
I think it looks great!! I'm impressed. I would be happy with half that much cake decorating skills.
And you made me think your waving skeleton was lacking...! You could definitely have a future in cake decorating :o) I am very impressed!
That is sooo cute!!! My attempts at things like this always end up looking like something a 1st grader would do--and then I see my 1st grade niece do even better.
Post a Comment