Tuesday, September 16, 2008

And that's why you ALWAYS buckle in your kids.

There are only a few times in life when it is good to hear a baby cry. For example, when you've just been through hours of labor and the baby finally arrives, your heart stops until you hear that sweet little cry.

I experienced another time when you'd like to hear that cry this afternoon. I went grocery shopping, and it was great. Teagan loved riding in the cart shaped like a car and he was worn out and almost instantly fell asleep when I put him in the car. I accidentally forgot to do up his seatbelt that holds in the car seat. The base got lost in the move and I'm totally depressed about it. On the way home I had to take a pretty tight/fast U-turn and I heard a big tumble in the backseat. I looked back and Teagan's carseat was facedown on the other side of the car on a pile of blankets. If I could have heard him crying I wouldn't have freaked out so bad, but I couldn't hear anything so I was sure he was going to suffocate. I flipped on the hazards slammed on my breaks and jumped into the back seat in a matter of about 3 seconds. When I turned over his carseat he looked up at me, smiled, giggled and pretty much went back to sleep before I got him seatbelted in. I'm glad he was fine, but man it freaked me out to see his carseat like that. After I got back on the road and my heartbeat slowed, I had to laugh at his response compared to mine. Maybe babies have too much trust. Hopefully from now on I will always check twice that my little precious bundle is seatbelted in, that was a serious reality check for me.

And that is why you always buckle in your kids.

9 comments:

daegan said...

oh my gosh! thankgoodness you took that hard turn huh? i remember i did the same thing when i was driving between i.f. and boise. foston road like 4 hours straight and wasn't completely buckled in. i was use to just clicking his car seat into his base that i didn't have at that time. WHEW! i'm happy you noticed the "good" in the situation and was calmed by his response. we can't always expect the worse. we should be expecting the good. count your blessings!

Brenda said...

I wish I could say that I never forgot to buckle my kids in... it's a wake up call for sure. It's a good things kids are resilient little creatures.

Unknown said...

A couple of weeks ago I was driving into Idaho Falls and Carson started jabbering in the back and I just kept talking back to him like usual. Then I pulled into Walmart and went to get him out of the back and his carseat was tipped over on it's side and probably had been since right after I left my house! He was still strapped in but I felt so bad that I didn't notice. It was funny though...

Sara said...

I'm so glad he's ok! I had to smile though...

Brittany Webster said...

Oh my! I got chills as I read your story... I am glad everything is ok! scary...

Reid, Megan, Jackson and Aiva said...

Too funny! that will be a great story to tell him when he grows up!

Erin said...

Yikes! That's freaky! So, so glad that you were able to pull over quickly. Made me smile though when you said Teagan was giggling in the back. Such a boy thing to do...laugh at something scary. ;) Good thing Heavenly Father is always looking after us. :)

Mickie Ann said...

oh how scary... that is not the first time I have heard that.. except the one I heard, they forgot to buckle the kid into the carrier and the baby came out and rolled along the floor of their van. SCARY!!! I am sorry that you had to experince that. I am glad he is okay.. at least it wasnt the stroller this time and his little head hitting the road. WOW that boy has had some tramatic things happen to him. I believe that there is a huge reason that babies heads are so thick!! Miss ya..

Garth and Alicia said...

At least you had him buckled in his carseat properly! He stayed in that! I'm glad it was a U-Turn and not a car accident that made you realize your mistake. I bet you'll NEVER do that again! How scary.