Monday, November 3, 2008

The support for Proposition 8 is overwhelming.

The past few weeks have been amazing. As a community we have really come together in support of Proposition 8. For those of you who live outside of California: If you vote yes you are agreeing that marriage is between a man and a woman only.

This is a really controversial issue and I know that there are many people who probably read this blog who disagree with my opinion, but that's why it's my opinion. I hope we can still be friends. :)

Here are some pictures of a rally we went to Saturday. There were hundreds of supporters of Prop 8 lining the roads and waving signs. There were so many horns honking constantly and the crowd was cheering. We all got the motivation to continue making phone calls and passing out door hangers!

We had a little get together after all the prop 8 events saturday and I made another cake!
The past few weeks have been amazing. As a community we have really come together in support of Proposition 8. For those of you who live outside of California: If you vote yes you are agreeing that marriage is between a man and a woman only.
This is a really controversial issue and I know that there are many people who probably read this blog who disagree with my opinion, but that's why it's my opinion. I hope we can still be friends. :)
As a family we have grown so much closer in the last couple of weeks. We have spent hours holding signs on corners, passing out door hangers, and making phone calls trying to encourage others to vote yes as well. As we've worked for a cause we believe in our testimonies have grown and I feel the spirit filling a little emptiness I've been having for the last few months. I feel that I'm finally back doing what's right and fighting for my beliefs. I encourage everyone who reads this to anxiously engage themselves in something they believe and know is right. I have never felt better and happier.
As I went to various activities in support of prop 8 I really had to ask myself, why am I voting for prop 8 to pass, what does it mean to me? It means everything to me. My family is the most important thing to me in the world. I agree with the Leaders of my church completely when they say "There is nothing in this world as important as the creation and perfection of family units." Our families make up society and are vital to the function of society. Without strong families I believe with all of my heart that society as a whole will suffer and fail.
Strong families are formed when a man and woman are married and together create children and raise them with strong core values that will teach them to treat others with kindness. In a family children learn how to take care of their earthly body and make good decisions. As these children are raised they become the leaders of our country. I know that the best place to learn these things is in a home where there are both a mother and father to be examples.
Society is already suffering from "failure in the home." Both heterosexual and homosexual parents are failing to teach their children correct principles to guide their life and I can see the results around me every single day. The world seems to become more "wicked" every day and it feels there is no way to stop it. The media alone is almost embarrassing to watch and listen to. I feel I can hardly leave my house without being exposed to things that I couldn't disagree with more. We went to go check out a movie from Hollywood and I was shocked to see how many movies had horrible titles! The titles alone made me feel extremely uncomfortable.
I guess that is what I get for being ultra-conservative.
Back to my point. I don't like living in a world where it is now normal to dress like a prostitute. I don't like living in a world where it is normal to swear and be drunk and scream and yell. I don't like living in a world where it is normal to have sex with people you hardly know. And I don't like living in a world where it is normal for men to marry men and women to marry women. I don't like these things, and I know that they aren't right, because I was raised by amazing parents who taught me right from wrong and I have prayed and I know that those things do not promote kindness, charity, love, or happiness in the long run.
I do not want my little Teagan growing up thinking those things are okay. It won't be easy for my son to come home from kindergarten and say "why didn't you want to marry a girl instead of a boy," or "what's sex," I'd rather try to make the world a place where those things don't come up for kindergartners. I don't want those things to be "normal" and I will do everything I can to protect my children from being exposed to things that we feel are wrong.
You may think that I'm not being tolerant, and you're right. I don't have to tolerate actions that will directly effect the happiness of my own family. I will always try to be kind to everyone. I know that there are wonderful people who don't make the greatest decisions and I 'm friends with lots of them. But I can hate the sin all I want, and put my heart into making sure that sin doesn't become the "norm." The bottom line is, my family is more important to me then anything.
If I could vote to change every one of the things I talked about, I would. Maybe I'll start writing propositions and try to make the world a better place.

8 comments:

Melissa said...

I don't think that there is antoher thing that I agree with more. People try to say that yes on prop * is discrimination to gays and lesbians. Well I have to admit I do not care if I am discriminating. That is not why I am voting yes. I am voting yes for protection for my family. If I have to be a little discriminatory toward a group of people to protect my own family, then call it whatever you won't because that will not change a thing. This proposition is exactly what will cause the downfall for our nation, because I don't care who you are, if it becomes legal to call a marriage between a man and a man in California it is inevitable it will pass in the rest of the states that it has not already done so, and worse laws will continue to pass, because once we give an inch they will drive for a mile and nver give in. I mean where do you draw the line. If a man can marry a man why not let a man marry his cow, or dog!!! What a disgusting world.

Reid, Megan, Jackson and Aiva said...

Melanie said it's getting pretty crazy out there. I am very nervous to see what happens with all of that. Did you see the commercial they are airing today where the LDS missionaries are knocking on a lesbian couple's door and tear up their marriage licence and stuff? Crazy.

Julie said...

I hope it passes! We will know soon! I think that is so awesome that you guys are so involved in this and that you have taken so much of your own time to support it and help it to pass!

Paul and Aubrey Young said...

Thanks for your thoughts, and thanks for doing all you can, cause of where I live I dont get to vote, so thanks for doing everything you do.

Anonymous said...

I love the cake!!

Katrina said...

You guys are awesome!! I'm so proud to call you my cousin!!!

Megan said...

all i have to say is, the master cake decorator stikes again haha, awesome :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Melissa! That's neat that you got to volunteer your services to help make Prop 8 pass with success!

Take care...Kathy Buxton