Thursday, November 6, 2008

"Oh, how those words have tortured me..."

Can you name that movie?
If you guessed Pride and Prejudice you are correct! I was introduced to that wonderful book in High School---thank you Christine, and then I became a huge Jane Austen addict while living next door to my Grandma Packer. She has all the books and all the movies with all the different versions for every Jane Austen story. When I was first nursing and it was taking FOREVER to feed TEagan I went through ALL of them, and now I'm hooked! The 6 hour Pride and Prejudice is addicting! I got to go pay a visit this week to my mom and we watched it while working on our projects. It was so fun and I love the last half hour. I could watch it over and over

"...If you had acted in a more gentlemanly-like manner.......Oh, how those words have tortured me..." Good ole' Darcy, can't get enough of him!

I realized that I had to go to Valencia to vote since that is where I'm registered so me and Teag made the 2 1/2 hour trip. I got to work on Teagan's Christmas present some more which was really stressful and a little fun.

I am by no means a seamstress, so I have to redo so much, mostly I just leave it as is cause I hate ripping out seams! The book is imperfect, but I'm learning lots from it! I'm learning about different types of fabric, stitches, and finding ways to make things hold REALLY well. Here are the newly added pages.

This is a string where you can move the buttons back and forth. I did it by 10's so that I can teach him to count by 2's, 3's, 4's, 5's, and 10's. Until he cares he can just make them jingle.
This was inspired by Deagan. The tongue and arms aren't attached and the eyes are buttons. This took about 2 hours because the fabric is ridged and the sewing machine just couldn't work. I was SO angry by the time this page was done!


This page is a peek-a-boo page. Different shapes with different items hidden beneath...pretty simple, but very time consuming!

After a couple harder pages I did this one as a break. I just sewed on a pocket from an old pair of jeans and took a little man my mom had made and attached it with a ribbon. It was easy until I realized I had sewed another piece of fabric onto the back...blast! More seam ripping...

I just took a bunch of types of buckles from my mom's buckle box and sewed them on. The orange and green ones are leather and really fun textures...sewing machines do not like leather :)

This is my favorite page!!! The fabric was already checkered and my mom taught me how to sew on a button with the machine! Talk about amazing! I loved going through her many stashes of buttons finding the coolest ones! Some of them have really cool details that you can't see through the picture.

I created this for the ride home so that when Teag through his toys he could retrieve them himself. he loved the fact that his binkie was on a string!

Well, I keep thinking...what have I gotten myself into with this project, but I'm really glad I'm doing it for a few reasons.

1. Everything is free via my mom! Thanks mom for letting me go through all of your "stuff"

2. I'm learning so much about sewing and the idea that slow and steady is much better!

3. This book will be fun for me to play with during church! Teagan might like it too!

12 comments:

Adam and Lisa said...

Holy cow, you are amazing!!! AWESOME book pages, and what a FANTASTIC idea to tie Teagan's toys across the car like that! Genius!!!

Brian and Elise said...

I would love to make a book like that for Sasha. I've tried for the boys, but didn't get very far. It's hard for me to just come up with stuff like that. It looks great!

Julie said...

I love that book! That is so impressive. Kate is going to want an upgrade! I love all of the ideas!

Julie said...

Oh and I LOVE Pride and Prejudice. I forgot about that because of the book. This makes me want to go watch it!

Unknown said...

I love pride and prejudice too! But only the old version. I could watch it over and over

Manda said...

crazy crazy crazy...you are probably martha stewart just pretty and not a convict. i hope you guys re doing great. we are finally here. its great to be here with my mom and dad. my sister is going to watch nyali tomorrow while we go for a motorcycle ride. see ya!

Brenda said...

That looks like so much fun! The little contraption you made for him for the ride home looked fun and functional... nice!! Your mama gave you the crafty gene!

Anonymous said...

I am very impressed with your book for Teagan! My sister and I are also Jane Austen fans- We also love most of the BBC and A&E movies/books that are of that time. Have you ever read or seen Middlemarch?
Rebekah

Garth and Alicia said...

I bet you are enjoying living so close to your mom! Well a lot closer than you have been for a long time...It sounds like some of her creativity is rubbing off on you! I love than idea for a Christmas present. That will be a special present for ever!

Megan said...

look at you! is there anything you do not do? this is so cute. I love the car toys!! has this made him a happier camper for car rides?

Mickie Ann said...

I LOVE P&P !!!! I am learning about how they decorate during that time period. It is so interesting. I love the A&E P&P - It is my favorite. I need to watch the others!! i'll talk to your grams!!!

Erin said...

Way to go, Melis! SO creative...like mother, like daughter. :) I'm impressed that you took on such a project...don't know that I would have been brave enough to put together something like that. And I love the contraption you put together to keep Teag's toys next to him! You are such a problem solver and I just love it!!