It is time for this post. It is very necessary. I mad a new year's resolution to read the whole Old Testament. I've read the New testament, Book of Mormon, and D&C at least once, but I've never even attempted the Old TEstament until now.
I decided that it is an important part of being an adult who claims to believe in the bible, as far as it is translated correctly of course. I am almost done with Exodus (page 150 or so) and wow, this book is crazy. Reading the "Prince of Egypt" story about Moses was great but WHY are there 10 million chapters about how to build a tent temple? I'm afraid that my determination to read the WHOLE thing is wearing off, all Zac says is just wait until Isaiah.
I figure that if I do a post about it then I HAVE to fulfil my goal. The history lesson is really interesting, but sometimes it makes me angry when the women are treated only as a means of child production. It is so strange that a few thousand years ago things were so different. Then I wonder what heaven will be like; bible times, or now times. If it is going to be like it was in the Old Testament I'm going to have to get a lot more faithful before I die. :) Luckily, I know who I'll be with for eternity and I know that I'm more than a means of child production to him.
Anywho, as you can see, reading the bible has made me an extremely deep thinker. Has anyone ever actually read the WHOLE thing? Was it a good experience in the end? Wish me luck!
Veggie Smoothies
16 years ago

2 comments:
Ya...I read bits and pieces last semester for my Bible as Literature class and there are some strange strange parts. I forget what book it is but one of them is this big lustful story. A little strange that it is supposed to be scripture... I know there are good parts to the OT, obviously, but I'm not sure how other parts of it have been approved after all these years. Good for you though Melis! I would be very intimidated by such a goal. By the way, did you ever get that recipe? Call me if you haven't...I'm free all day tomorrow.
I am with you. I have never fully read the bible... but I figure.. If I pay attention durning sunday school the year we study it.. than it will be okay. Because if you notice we don't read EVERYTHING!! And about what is written in the bible... remember MEN wrote the it and they wrote for the intent of the future posterity. So, it was not important for them to write.." I love my wife, she does so much for me. She works all day and still has time to take care of me... blah blah blah." Like a good man should think. I think there was alot more to "LIFE" than is writen in the bible. The Bible was to help "bring others unto Christ" Plus the Book of Mormom doesn't have two whole books after women... only the BIble. Maybe that was their way of showing that they do have alot of repect for women. Okay, enough of my banter.. Good luck with the readin!!
Post a Comment