Thursday, February 12, 2009

Feelin The Love

I love Valentines day. I love making and decorating sugar cookies and I've found a new love in making home made Valentines.


For Family Night on Monday I decided that we'd make Valentines for all of Teagan's first cousins, but I didn't want to leave out his aunts and uncles, and you can't leave out grandma and grandpa! Pretty soon we had about 20 Valentines and I was struggling to come up with poems for each one! If you blow up the picture you can see that we have a lot of talent...ha


Teagan, can you tell he's tired, was trying to paint with his feet...the table is stained with stamp...oops.


I don't know what makes the Valentines more unique/interesting/funny looking, my "poems" (I need quotes because I don't think they quite qualify as poems), Zac's glitter, or Teagan's handprints. They definately aren't perfect, but I LOVE them, and it is definately going to be a yearly tradition. Heck, maybe we'll start early and include 2nd cousins next year!


Then I had a bunch of sugar cookie dough left over from a Young Women's activity so me and my two AMAZING neighbors(Yesenia,11, and Mariela, 17) made "bachelors." I didn't have any heart cookie cutters so we made Valentines for all the girls out there who don't have one this year. I think we had a little too much fun with the decorating!

PS: I have a couple of really good hints for success in sugar cookie making that I discovered on allrecipes.com.

1a. Roll out the dough on wax paper.
1b. Use powdered sugar if it is sticky, not flour because that makes the cookie gross
2. Use the cookie cutters for whatever shapes you want.
3.Peel away the excess dough.
4. Slide onto the cookie sheet and cook right on the wax paper. You don't even have to use pam and the cookie sheets are WAY easier to clean.


This way the shapes don't get all weird while you try to transfer them and cupboards and cookie sheets are easier to clean!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rachel and I enjoyed making sugar cookies the over thanksgiving! They are my favorite. I have an awesome recipe for cookies and frosting if you want to add to your collection call me
Rebekah