Friday, February 27, 2009

Advice please

Blogs are good for so many purposes. It is like a little journal for our family, but since a few experienced moms look at it I can get advice!

Problem: Teagan's crib is too small. My dad made a beautiful crib/cradle for Teagan when he was born. I love it SO much! Teagan has never fallen out of it because the sides are nice and high, but he is just getting to tall and wide. During his naps I can hear him moving around and he keeps bonking his head against the sides (it doesn't help that he sleeps horizontally sometimes).
Question: What kind of bed do we get next? Here are the options I can think of:
option 1: Upsize to a larger crib. The problem with this is that I don't really want to buy a crib because then I would have 2, why would i want 2 cribs?
option 2: Toddler bed. Is it really worth the money to buy a bed that only last a couple years? They are really cute though and you can get the kind that has the gaurd rail already.
option 3: Twin Bed. My mom has one that she would give to us for free so I like this option because it requires no money, but Teagan is still a baby so i'm afraid he wouldn't understand staying in his bed.
Teagan is 14 months old. Would we be crazy to put him into a twin bed with a gaurd rail? How do you make the change from crib to "big boy bed." How does this whole thing work? I appreciate your imput!

10 comments:

Heidi and Matt said...

Well, if you are planning to have more kids, you may want another crib! Mine have all stayed in theirs until they are almost 3. Your life is SOOO much easier when they are in the crib. You will be puting him back to bed a million times and when he's in his crib you won't worry about him wandering around at night!

Look for a cheap one on craigslist maybe? Just my opinion.....

daegan said...

i suggest go straight to the twin bed. adjusting to new habits can take time because kids are stubborn to the quick forming old ones. teag will be in a twin for quite some time in his life... so why not start now? it might be easier than you think and it might not. foston was in a big boy bed at 18 months piece of cake. and plus since you only have ONE child... it's a lot easier to give them that consistant attention they need to convert to a new bed. find some fun sheets or a special animal he can sleep with just for naps and bedtime. i think you'll be fine! heck, and FREE!!! totally!

leslie mae said...

Twin bed!! If you're worried about him falling off; just put the mattress on the floor and skip the frame for awhile. I think toddler beds are a waste of money! And you can't beat free!!

Brenda said...

My kids both had toddler beds. I don't know if they are "necessary" but they are pretty inexpensive and low to the ground.
If the twin is free, I would get that, put it up to the wall, and get a $15 guard rail at Wal-mart for the other side. You may be surprised at how much he likes his "big boy bed" and he may just surprise you and stay in bed. My friend's daughter was kind of afraid to get out because the twin bed was high off the ground and she never got out of it!! Amazing. Gabe always liked the "confinement" of a crib. I put up his travel bed for one of Amy's kids and he BEGGED to sleep in it that night(He was 2 1/2). Weird. I finally took it down when his head touched the top of it and his feet touched the bottom. If he was good that day he could sleep in it :)
So, after this novel of a comment, there is no right decision on this one.

Brenda said...

I just re-read my post, and I sure used a lot of "air quotes" --- NERD!!

Sara said...

You could get a crib that converts to a toddler bed. I like to keep my kids in the crib until they figure out how to climb out...then we put them in a twin. Usually they're 2-3 yrs old by that time and it's easier to teach them to stay in a normal bed anyway.

Unknown said...

I would say go with a toddler bed. It doesn't need to be a super nice bed. My sister got one for her daughter at walmart for 50 bucks. It's cute, super sturdy, and isn't going to hurt to pay for. Plus it gives them a little bit more security because there isn't all that empty space around them.

Megan said...

Well I can't wait to hear what you've decided. I have a good sized graco pack & play we used for Kylie to sleep in when we were on vacation if you get desperate in the meantime or need something to hold you over. :)

The Smaellies said...

I don't have any kids that age but my vote would be to go with the twin bed because it is free. If you were going to have to buy one, I would vote for the toddler bed. Good luck!

PS. my friend found some really cute sheets and sewed a duvet cover and it was totally awesome!! Just an idea!

Brian and Elise said...

We did a twin with Ethan. We just put the box spring and mattress on the ground so it was easy to get on to and off of it. It also kept falling injuries from being a problem. He was about 16 months when we did it, and it went pretty well.

I know you guys are loaded and everything, but saving the dough would be nice.
Good luck.