Monday, August 25, 2008

Mom, you were right all along.

All through highschool my mom always ranted and raved about aptitudes. She said that everyone has aptitudes for different things; writing, math, teaching, singing, organizing, exercising...She would always say that you will be happy and feel satisfied when you are filling your aptitudes. I always heard, but didn't really listen and now I've discovered she was right all along.

I'm applying for a job as a Precalculus and calculus tutor and I have to take a little test to make sure my skills are up to date so I pulled out my old Calculus book and started working through problems last night. I went through like 3 chapters and I just couldn't stop, I literally was on a math high and was so happy. I was getting close to being giddy and Zac was just crackin up. I kept saying "oh I'll never get this one, this one is rediculously hard" then I would work and get it right, eventually, and I'd get really excited. It was so fun and I just felt so happy.

You are probably reading this thinking that I am a complete lunatic, except Julie and Mom, you guys are probably already planning on getting your books out, but I am still just happy as happy can be. Some people get their high from reading, or writing, or reorganizing a few cupboards, or smoking pot, but I get mine from doing math problems and I'm sure it's that aptitude I'm fulfilling.

I just keep thinking about how it is probably one of the gifts I've been given from Heavenly Father to enjoy math and I'm so grateful that everyone gets a different gift to share with everyone else. Everyone is so different and it is simply remarkable. :)

What is your "high." I'm just curious to see what puts everyone else in their happy place. Any Calculus lovers out there?

6 comments:

Julie said...

um. I like to read. And do math too. and talk to people

Nicole said...

Melissa, you are so cute! We miss you guys like crazy!!! I would have to say that I get my "high" when I play the piano. It makes me sooooo happy. Reading is another one.

daegan said...

i'd have to say certain parts of cleaning my house... like completely scouring my bathrooms, sweeping my floor, vacuuming... it is SO satisfying!

Melissa said...

I would have to say that I get my high from illegal drugs, J/K I live for anatomy and kinesiology, but only when I am not getting high off of family time :)

Mickie Ann said...

I love it.... I know what Zac goes through... Jeff loves MATH>.. I was getting so tired of hearing about Cal II last semester... now school has started again.. and I hear about Physics & Chemistry.... you silly Math People

Mickie Ann said...

ohhh... I forgot to mention... one time Jeff was talking with Jeff Facer (math teacher) and Dave Crasper (math teacher) (if you knew or remember them from the ward here) BUT... I got after them because they were in the hall like teenagers talking "MATH" and not in Sunday School!