Friday, July 11, 2008

Are we crazy?

Well, Zac and I had a nervous break down yesterday and we realized that Physical Therapy school is just too expensive, well San Diego is just too expensive. We talked and we've decided we're going to get a one bedroom apartment to save some money. The difference in price is going to be more than $300 every month, which is $3,600 a year and about $10,000 for the whole graduate degree. So we decided to make it work.

The funny part is that we are just trying to find one with a big walk in closet or nook where Teagan can sleep. It will definately be tight, but I'm a firm believer that we will be able to make the best of any situation we put ourselves into, plus we can always move to bigger apartment if we go too crazy.

Any thoughts? Has anyone tried a one bedroom apartment with a baby? What were your experiences? Any advice? Are we crazy?

***I should be more clear. We are still going to go to San Diego, we are just going to get a one bedroom while we are there as a money saver...sorry Alicia. :)

5 comments:

brittneyboucha said...

we are in a 1 bedroom with a 2 year old for the past 5 months. most of the time it has worked out fine. And sometimes she wakes up and wants to get in our bed and its tough to let her cry it out when she is looking right at us. but they get used to it. we know how it is to live in the most expensive place in the country. things are very tight but they work out. good luck

Garth and Alicia said...

I am so glad to hear that you will be staying around here!! I don't have much experience with that exact situation YET. We will be in one bedroom in a house with other people this winter in Minnesota. But-so far Palmer has been in his crib in our room and I love having him close. Is there any subsidised (sp?) housing where you'll be living? That is rent that is based on how much money you make and how many dependants you have. So on a student's salary and w/Teeg...I lived in a 3 bed/2 bath apartment in Driggs for $375 or so years ago...I'm so proud of you guys-you'll make it work...

Erin said...

I can't speak for you, but I'd go crazy. You're the one staying home all day with Teagan so I say it's up to you (happy wife = happy life, or so Jared says...ha :)). If you think you'll be okay in a one bedroom and Zac will be able to get enough sleep so he can function during school, I'm sure you'll be fine. I realize it sounds like a lot of money...and it is, but don't kill yourself over it. Little things add up, but what's another $3600 a year when you're only doing it for two years? Plus, it would be hard to have visitors with a one bedroom! Where are we going to stay when we want to see you?! ;) Just kiddin. Good luck with the search...just do what you think you can handle! That's really all it comes down to. Okay this is officially too long and I'm stopping. :)

Erin said...

**Also keeping in mind where I'm coming from with the dental school situation...probably why my opinion is so liberal. :)**

Blatter said...

When we lived at University Courtyard in Rexburg, which is about the size of our frontroom in our Idaho Falls apartment (I am not exaggerating), There were people in the ward who had one or two kids! We don't know how they acutally did it. It was a midget one bedroom place, but if they can do it. You can too. Our apartment is a little smaller here than we wanted, but it is super nice and we have a dishwasher and we are saving money living here. . . Just think of all the crazy stories we can tell our kids. . . . "There we were, in medical school/PT school. Eating flour and water just like the pioneers. We raised all 8 of your kids in a 600 sq foot apartment." eheheh. It makes it a fun adventure. You guys can do it. :)