Friday, October 16, 2009

First Emergency Room Trip....Not the last

I can officially say I've rushed a child to the emergency room now. Of course he is FINE, so don't worry. I will warn you that there is some bloodyness in the pictures so don't look if you get queasy easily!!!



Yesterday afternoon me and the little Mr. were playing around in the commons area with bouncy balls. He was standing up on the ledge he's laying on in the picture trying to go from one side to the other. He was trying to go around the corner while staying on the cement, does that even make sense? He'd done it about 20 times without any problems, but the 21st time was bad luck. I was just far away enough that I couldn't catch him as he fell/rolled off the cement wall and caught himself with his mouth on the cement.


I picked him up and his mouth was quickly filling up with blood...if you know me you know that I do NOT do well with blood. I carried him back to the house and put him in the sink with a wet washcloth to bite on and called Zac. At first it just looked like he'd gotten a nasty cut the inside of his lip which he's done before so I wasn't too worried. After I hung up with Zac I had Teagan look up so I could look under his lip and that is when I started really freaking out....here is the gross picture taken at the hospital:


I called Zac again, this time in tears and much more hysterical saying he needed to meet us at the emergency room. It was still bleeding a LOT at that point, but once we got to the ER and got the bleeding stopped and swelling down with a complimentary Popsicle we realized it wasn't as bad as I had originally thought.

We waited 2 hours for a PA to mess with it and make Teagan scream bloody murder to tell us that putting stitches in would make the scaring worse and that she couldn't really do anything to make it heal better. Go figure, but I guess it's better safe than sorry.
I almost forgot to add this funny part. While Zac was holding Teagan down with the nurse checking out the cut I was trying to distract him by song and dance and running into things and pretending to get hurt. The nurse took a break from torturing him for a second and Zac and I tried to comfort him. He was sobbing and this was our conversation:
Me: Teagan do you want an otter pop when we get home
Teagan: yaaa (he tried to stop crying and was very enthusiastic then he started to cry again)
Me: Do you want mommy to go run into the wall again
Teagan: yaaaaaaaaaaaa! (even more enthusiastic than the first time but still crying)
It was SO funny, the PA even started laughing, even when he's hurt Teagan still thinks it's funny for mom to run into walls.
His swollen lip is so sad, this is him today, what a trooper. He didn't even cry that much, I swear this kid is braver than me, not that that's really saying a lot.

PS- You might think that his adorable rhino shirt would be ruined from the blood, but I am a laundry magician and you can't even tell there was blood on the shirt. I think I might frame it as a representation of my good homemaking skills!

6 comments:

Melissa said...

He is like a minature superman. What a man

Erin said...

Aww!! Poor Teag! But what a big boy he is! :) I'm glad that things are fine...phew! And I am thoroughly impressed with your laundry skills. How about teaching me some of those?

Unknown said...

Poor little lamb! He doesn't seem to get along with the ground very well! Hopefully you are both doing better!

Reid, Megan, Jackson and Aiva said...

He and Jack are two peas in a pod! That does looks pretty gruesome, and how the "H" did you get that stain out?

Julie said...

Poor Teag! Is it healing up? I am not excited about my first emergency room trip!

daegan said...

glad he's good! those moments can be so intense. and yay for running into walls! i do that too! it's really funny when they do it for you... not for reals, but "pretend" like we do.