Sunday, September 27, 2009

Bubba Bear

So this cute little guy has had a rough week. Wednesday I noticed that he had bitten a big hole in his bubba (binkie). It was one of the ones we brought home from the hospital and he's nearing 2 so it was a little old! The top looked like it might fall off if he bit it more and I was afraid he might choke on it or something at night so I made the command decision that bubbas were going to be gone. We only had one other bubba and I wasn't about to go buy more for an almost 2 year old so I chopped off the top of both bubbas with scissors and told him that his bubbas were broken. He still wanted to hold the broken ones at night and he did his fair share of screaming and crying and after 3 nights and 3 naps we decided that we needed to get rid of the bubba all together. (He was still wanting to hold them and then it would just make him more upset that I'd cut the top off).
So we had this brilliant idea to go to the "Build a Bear" in our mall and put the bubbas inside of the bear and call it the bubba bear. He LOVES the bear! He likes to carry it around with him everywhere. He did about have a heart attack when he saw the worker sew his bubba inside the bear, but he got over it quick. He tried to open up the back a couple times and whimpered a little the first night he had the bear. But he hasn't asked for a bubba since. WHOOOOO! He still isn't sleeping as good as he did before. His naps are shorter and he wakes up earlier so I'm having second thoughts, but I'm DEFINITELY not going to go back!

Yeah for the bubba bear!

9 comments:

Cristine Garrison said...

what a cute idea! you are such a smart mom.

Reid, Megan, Jackson and Aiva said...

Nice! I am dying to get rid of Jacks bink but I am worried that when we have this baby in february and he will throw a fit and want it back so I have been hesitant. maybe if I don it now six months would be long enough to adjust.

i have heard of other people doing the build a bear thing and said it works.... I guess I need to just buck up and do it!

Garth and Alicia said...

I love that! How sweet that he has his special bear now that he can sleep with and carry around!

Krista said...

Can you tell that the 'bubba' is inside the bear?

Julie said...

Best Idea Ever, I may use it in the future!

Anonymous said...

you are amazing! that is perfect! what an age appropriate solution! love it love!
you rock!
heart
rebekah

MOM said...

It is a hard thing to do. Reid was going on 2 and his bink was old and stickey and the top coming off too. We went up to Idaho and about half way there I made HIM throw it out the window and say good bye and that was that.
Whatever works.
Deena
I love to keep up with all you kids on your blogs.

Beth said...

Great idea! A perfect, inspired, logical conclusion to the worn-out binky! Good job, Melissa! Thanks for the frequent updates!

Rondo Family said...

Melissa! Obviously I didn't check my blog in time to see that you went to play werks. I'm so sorry. Next time you go (if you go again:) give me a call (sorry i didn't thing of this before). My number is (760)473-7387. Hope you had fun anyway though:)