So my fantastic eater has disappeared and a picky boy has come. He doesn't even like potatoes.
Teagan likes Any and all fruits, PB&J, hotdogs, eggs and toast, carrots, yogurt, crackers, cheese and that's about it.
He won't eat anything I make for dinner and if he does it will be like 2 bites and be done. I just am worried that he's not eating enough. He will eat tons of fruit, but I want him to eat something hearty that will actually make him gain weight.
Any ideas? What do you feed your picky toddler, please give me some ideas.
Veggie Smoothies
16 years ago

13 comments:
I am so in the same boat, the difference is, I have been FOREVER!! Jack has always been a terrible eater and that is why he never gains any weight! I just try and maximize what he does eat adding as many calories as I can sneak in there and offering him food ALL THE TIME!
Also I read that the more you push kids, the pickier they become so just try and take it easy and not stress about it too much.
What about like making yummy 100% fruit smoothies and hiding stuff in them like spinach, wheat germ, flax seed oil etc? Hmm...I'm just trying to think of what you could hide in meals to give a little more substance? Maybe make your own bread with freshly ground wheat to give him healthy oils and protein from the wheat (I have a really great recipe if you want/need one). Yikes...that's hard! I agree with "Reid Megan and Jackson" though...don't stress too much. He definitely won't let himself starve. Plus, even though he's not eating a great variety of foods, none of the food groups or carbs/fat/protein are lacking. Sorry, I know that's not much consolation and probably not what you want to hear, but it's true! :)
Oh Melissa!! I know EXACTLY what you are going through! Easton went through a phase with not liking food that lasted at least 1 to 1 1/2 years. Zachary is now going through this phase and it's way worse than Easton. He won't eat meat at all...in fact all he'll eat is PB&J, cereal, waffles, and pasta. The advice I have gotten and keep receiving is that they'll eat when they're hungry (which to me means: don't worry they won't starve themselves to death) and to make sure to not give them sugary snacks and things like that in between meals. Sometimes Z gets a pb&j for lunch and dinner and he LOVES it...I really slather on the peanut butter so he gets his protein since he won't eat meat. Don't worry...Teagan will come around!! Being a mom can be hard and confusing sometimes, huh! Good luck!
Sorry, one more thing to add to the book I just wrote: there's a cookbook written by Jerry Seinfelds wife (I think that's who wrote it--someone correct me if I'm wrong) and she shows you how to hide pureed veggies and such in your kid's meals...might be fun to check out.
Kate wasn't eating well for a while and it was because we were letting her snack so much inbetween meals. When we stopped, she started eating so much better. Also, he has just a little tiny stomach and maybe eh isn't growing much right now?
Try frozen peas. Aiden won't eat them cooked, but he likes them frozen. Kinda weird, but it works! :) Good luck. I'm going through the same thing with Abi. She used to eat everything, but now she has to EXACTLY like her older brother! UGH!
i have that cookbook by jerry seinfeld's wife... it's called... {deceptively delicous}.
I LOVE IT! it's my absolute favorite!
yumm.o recipes too.
Melissa! Your hair grows SO fast! I can't believe the pictures! And Teagan IS SO CUTE in his spiderman outfit. I love his grin with all his teeth! Good luck with the whole eating thing. One thing a friend of mine did was, for example, if you can get him to eat spaghetti then grate carrots or other vegetables into the sauce so he gets the nutrients and won't even know it!
I think you are on a good track having him eat 2 bites of what you make. Carson is 8 and a terrible eater because he did not have to consistantly try new foods in his earlier years.
I have read TONS on this subject...and we have tried many differnt things with Carson...we should talk...
I found your blog from Julie's... With a kid that age, we are going through the same thing. Have you ever seen the blog Her Cup Overfloweth? {http://michellesjournalcorner.blogspot.com} She 'hosts' a Muffin Tin Monday, and Emma loves eating out of her muffin tin! The portion sizes are right for a little kid, and she will try new foods from it. I also like {littlenummies.net} for cute ways to serve food. It works at our house!
It seems to me that children go through periods when they eat a lot and then others where they don't eat much at all, pretty much growth spurts. I agree with Sara, he'll eat when he's hungry. Maybe just be sure you have good things to feed him when he is hungry. Grant is now going through a period where he isn't eating much. It's ok. He just doesn't get any of the desserts if he hasn't eaten all of the food first. Good luck.
I think it sounds like you are doing pretty darn good with the variety he is willing to eat now! Kylie likes the gerber graduates pasta pickups..turkey and vegetable. :)
chefboyardy. that is what Nyali likes. and it has a full serving of vegetables. very healthy and good for a budget.
Post a Comment