Grand Cayman Islands
Our first port stop was at Grand Cayman Islands. We had to take a little boat to get from the ship to land. We had a great view of the ship.
We got a bus to take our big group to the Sea Grape Beach for a beach day and it was really fun. The kids loved the shallow beach and white sands.
You can see Teagan lounging in the back on our beach chairs, he was exhausted and starving after all the swimming and sand castle building!
The adults took turns snorkeling. We saw several different fish, it was so cool! The water was really clear.
Zac and I got bored so we decided to rent some Kayaks and go for a spin out in the ocean. I LOVED it so much. I just felt so free out there and it was a good workout.
We came back to shore periodically and gave the kids rides. Teagan was not too sure about it, probably because he saw Zac trying to flip my Kayak any chance he got. I will add that Zac never tipped me! Boo ya!
And the Kayaking was all made possible by the wonderful Elise who entertained Eloise, she is the sweetest person alive, Brian is pretty lucky!
Costa Maya, Mexico
Our big plan for Costa Maya was to go see the ancient Mayan ruins. We really wanted to see the ruins from the Book of Mormon times and thought it would be cool for Teagan to see that and have a visual for when we read the Book of Mormon as a family.
We were first greeted by some "Mayan Indians" (Lamanites) who were kind enough to pose...and then shamelessly ask for a tip, "no need to give a fifty, 20's and 10's are just fine." If I had a dollar for every time I was asked for a tip I'd have at least 10 dollars.
This picture is cooler...except my darn eyes.
We found out that the ruins were an hour away and we could only stay an hour and that it would be $50 each...then we also found out that there were fake ruins just down the street that looked like the real ones. We settled for a $20 golf cart rental and the fakes. :) Zac is still convinced that the fake ruins are real. He climbed really high up, it was pretty steep and freaky!
I have to admit that we told Teagan that the guys were Lamanites and the ruins were real. One day he will read this and probably never talk to us again....
We shared a golf cart with Brian and Elise and of course have no pictures with them. Eloise loved to help drive.
There was a guy selling coconuts on the side of the road so we each got one and he chopped it open for us so we could drink the coconut water, it was nasty. I dumped the water out and he got the flesh out so we could try it, it was better, but tasted nothing like sugary coconut that you can buy at the store.
We stopped to see a lighthouse and Zac spotted this little guy. It was HUGE! Way bigger than normal lizards, maybe the size of Ellie's arm or something.
Zac loved seeing all the different houses, it reminded him of his mission to Brazil. I couldn't believe that people lived in such terrible conditions. It made me feel extremely spoiled and a little guilty for all that we have!
This made us laugh. A terrible looking house with satellite TV.
This was a motel...no thanks
We went and browsed through the shops and Teagan found this awesome alligator to climb inside of.
Cozumel, Mexico
This port stop was all of our favorites.
There were some shops you had to walk through before getting to any activities. This guy jumped out and about made me die of fright when I ran by. Teagan thought he was awesome though.
We didn't mean to, but ended up meeting up with the whole family and getting a glass bottom boat to take us all snorkeling with a guide. It was AWESOME.
They had these big hole/window things that you could look through and watch all sorts of fish and such as we drove past them. The kids loved this part!
Eloise was pretty content to just walk around the window and point at anything she saw.
Teagan loved it too!
We stopped to snorkel at two different spots. At the first stop Grandpa Durtschi stayed aboard with all 14 kids while all the adults (and Rachel) went snorkeling, it was such a treat! We paid $10 for an AMAZING underwater picture of Zac and I with all these tropical fish swimming around us, one that could never be replaced, and then we promptly misplaced it. I'm sick about it. Luckily, Julie, my aspiring photographer of a sister got some wonderful shots. :)
They must have thrown out some fish food because the fish were literally swarming us, they were so bright and colorful and there were so many of them!
Our guide found a sea horse! He would swim down to the floor and point things out to us. We saw two different sea horses and a lobster, along with a ton of fish.
At the second stop we let the kids and Grandpa go. Teagan was a little nervous but we just threw him in.
Zac sat on the edge of the boat and went into the water backwards like a scuba diver.
Once in the water Teagan put his face in the water and saw about 1000 fish swimming around his legs and got really scared (froked out, if you will). He was nervously half laughing and half crying, but then he got used to it and says "I LOVED IT!" when I ask him about it now. Silly boy.
We bought snorkeling gear from Target and spent quite a bit ($40) to get a good set and they were awful, constantly filling with water...definitely returned those.
Eloise wore this life jacket for about 15 seconds before she was done and we decided to just leave her on the shady boat to look through the windows.
After the boating excursion was done we took the kids back to the boat and signed them into the kids club then headed back to Cozumel for some adults only fun. We rented mopeds with Julie and Jeff, Whitney and Joe, and my dad. We got to drive through the jungle, along the beach and through the city. We stopped at a store so Zac could buy some of the beloved cookies he used to get on his mission. It was pretty fun, but a little too scary for me. We posed with me in front for the picture, but Zac drove the whole time and was crazy. He was going really fast and I swear he was aiming for potholes, trying to catch air. Apparently stop signs only matter if they're in your language... Never a dull moment with him around!
Castaway Cay, Bahamas
This day was so amazing, the beaches were so clean and nice. Disney owns the island and their cruise ships are the only visitors so there are a bunch of people trying to sell stuff and it was just really nice.
I am now realizing that I took zero pictures of our kids playing on the beach! Luckily I found a few from others that had my kids. They have a water slide tower in the ocean that me and Teagan and Zac were able to go on. The kids enjoyed playing in the sand and Eloise was a trooper and took a couple catnaps in the stroller so we could stay at the beach all day.
Third beach day and she was still trying to eat the sand. Adorable.
They had a snorkeling area that was pretty fun. It was pretty cloudy because of all the sand people had kicked up, but Julie got some fun underwater pictures of me.
There was a whole swarm of little yellow fish that I was able to get so close to, it was really cool.
Standing next to the statues wasn't enough...Teagan had to be right on top.
We rented bikes (only $6!) and rode around their paved trails. They have a lookout you can ride to and see the entire island, it was pretty cool!
Us on the lookout (Eloise was sleeping at the beach at this point, we picked her up later). You could see the entire island with water all around it from the tower.
















1 comment:
I don't even know where to begin...I love that family pic on the tender boat, I wish we had gotten one (seems like we were running late and I was frantically putting us all together) I LOVE the kayaking ones too, those are pretty cool! I didn't even notice that ruin in Costa Maya, I wish we had gone to that, those look cool. I love revisiting those places!
Post a Comment