Friday, November 19, 2010

An Attitude of Gratitude

November came just in time this year for two reasons. 1. Thanksgiving is always a very clear reminder that we need to be grateful for what we have. 2. The General Conference of my church is in November and there were multiple talks that spoke straight to my heart, one of which concerned gratitude.

Great Quote:
"Sincerely giving thanks not only helps us recognize our blessings, but it also unlocks the doors of heaven and helps us feel God's love." Thomas S. Monson

This concept was huge for me. If we take the time to simply say thank you for all of the guidance and blessings in our life we start to understand a small part of all that God has given us. This allows us to feel his
unconditional love for us.

Yesterday I had a friend come over, while she was here she offered to watch Teagan so that Zac and I could go to the temple. I hate to admit this, but usually we go to the temple when we need something. Whether it's guidance on where to go to school, where to take a job, where to live, and how to not ruin Teagan, or comfort when my life is crazy, I usually go to the temple seeking something. So when she offered I thought, well we're kind of done making all our big decisions, and I feel really happy so I don't really need to go.

Then I had the thought: you need to go to show gratitude for all of the times you've gone and received answers and comfort and direction. So with that attitude, Zac and I headed off for the temple.
(I have to include a picture because it really is the most gorgeous temple I've ever been inside.)

While I was sitting in the celestial room being thankful I was able to see how the last few years have been completely guided. Every place we've lived, Zac's schooling, his jobs, neighbors, parks we've visited. Here are some of the things that came to mind.

-I'm grateful that Zac had the thought to apply to this random school in San Diego, I didn't think he should, but I'm glad he followed through with it.
-I'm grateful Zac didn't get accepted to ISU, if he had he probably would have gone and he wouldn't have gotten the manual therapy education he received at St. Augustine and he probably wouldn't have gotten the job he did that brought us back to Idaho.
-I'm grateful we got to live close to my mom for these last few years as she transitioned into being an empty nester and I've transitioned to being a nester.
-I'm grateful that Teagan had a grandma close by to know and love and that I had a mom to teach me to sew and cook and to keep me humble when I get on crazy kicks.
-I'm grateful for that first ward we were in down here. It was hard at times, but we learned to be good missionaries and to serve.
-I'm grateful for the cockroaches in our old place, without them we wouldn't have moved to this new place and come to this ward.
-I'm grateful for a washer and dryer IN my apartment.
-I'm grateful for being the primary secretary, I'm totally clueless, but the women that I work with have helped me to mature spiritually. They have been incredible mentors and examples.
-I'm grateful for a primary that is not all about the bells and whistles
-I'm grateful that Lindy felt inspired to have parenting classes with some girls in our ward. Through them I've come to love and embrace my role as Mother.
-I'm grateful that another mom followed her impression to go to the park and talk to a stranger about homeschool. She ignited a fire that is still burning strong.
-I'm grateful for sisters and friends who recommend THE best books that seem to be shaping my whole existence. What would I do without Anne? Or Thomas Jefferson? Or Darcy? Or a Whole Foods plant based diet? I have no idea.
-I'm grateful we found an incredible house to rent for an incredible deal, in the country, away from the craziness of the city. I'm grateful we were prompted to be patient and wait it out for a few days.
-I'm grateful for a husband who has excelled in school, partly because he is so driven and works so hard, and partly because he's been the recipient of many sudden burst of thought during tests that are answers to many many prayers asking for help to remember the books and books full of information he has to learn.

As I think of all these things I just feel so happy and loved and lucky. I can't imagine life without prayer and guidance from our Father in Heaven. I am truly thankful this year.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Love this post, thanks for sharing, and what a cute house. I'm excited for you guys!

Beth said...

I'm thankful to have such an inspiring, lovely step-daughter.You prove that people are about as happy as they choose to be. Gratitude is the key to happiness, I believe. Thank you for the thoughtful, inspiring post.

Megan said...

I like it all. Sounds like you guys are on an excellent path and a house in the country sounds pretty perfect :)