Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Teag's Surgery

Today was a day that was causing Zac and I so much worry for a lot of weeks, but we shouldn't have worried quite so much. Teagan has had a hernia since he was a tiny newborn. Apparently it's really common and normally goes away, but since his didn't he had to have a surgery to fix it. We chose a day when Zac would be on break so that I wouldn't have to brave the hospital alone and so that Teagan could have his favorite person with him all day.

We were VERY concerned that it wasn't until 1pm and he wasn't allowed solids all day and he is an eater. I made two different types of jello, stocked up on apple juice and Popsicles and prayed for the best. He hated the jello, but ate 3 otter pops and had lots of grape juice, every kids dream right? He never even fussed about being hungry except one time when I reached into my purse and he saw a package of ritz crackers (I brought them for after the surgery). He started to whimper and beg, it was so sad, but we distracted him quick!

The wristband drove him crazy! We brought him a couple wrapped presents to give him since we'd be in the waiting room for 2 hours. His first Mr. Potato head, and some farm animals. It worked completely and we kept him distracted the whole time!

Just waiting around for the doctor to come, notice the mickey mouse stickers on his legs, he LOVES to put stickers on his legs!
Right before we handed him over to the nurse he saw his tie in the diaper bag from church and insisted on putting it on...only the best for Dr. Aligiri!
It got hard when the nurse took him and he was just screaming bloody murder the whole way down the hall. They wouldn't let us go back with him at all so that was really hard. I had hoped that they would at least let us stay with him until the anesthesia set in and he was asleep!
35 minutes later the Doctor came out and told us that the surgery was a great success. As soon as he woke up they came and got us. He was sobbing when we got in there and went crazy when he saw Zac, he cried for a good 10 minutes while Zac held him sang "Old McDonald" about 50 times trying to calm him down. Every time a nurse came near us he grabbed Zac so tight and started to cry again. I think we've just made his separation problems worse! The part that killed me was that I couldn't hold him. With Zac there, there was no way he was coming to me, I just wanted to give him a big hug and cuddle him and be his mommy, but he is a daddy's boy, how grateful I am that he has such an amazing dad, Zac's my favorite too. I'm not surprised, but it made me a little sad. Finally we got him to drink some juice and eat some crackers and he started cheering up a little.
By tonight he was completely back to normal. We were trying to force him to sit and watch a movie so that he could relax and he just wanted to play. He was well enough that I even made it to mutual! What an incredible kid.

15 comments:

Krista said...

I had a surgery when I was three and I still remember the nurse coming to the waiting room and taking me away, then having my mom with me when I woke up. Hopefully Teagan is young enough that he won't remember all of this.

Beth said...

Wow! Incredible is all I can say. What an experience for all of you. We kept thinking of you all day and hoped everything was going as well as could be expected. Sounds like it did. Congratulations on a sucessful parental milestone.

Cristine Garrison said...

i'd never let go of my dad either! haha. what a brave little guy. it was so fun to finally meet him a few weeks ago!

Reid, Megan, Jackson and Aiva said...

minor surgery is never minor when it's your baby. Glad it went well.

Sara said...

Glad everything went well!! Z had to have hernia surgery last year...it is so hard to watch them getting wheeled into the OR without you!! Isn't it amazing how fast kids bounce back to their normal selves...too bad we aren't that way!

Erin said...

Aww!! Poor little Teag!! I'm so so glad the surgery went over so well. And wow, what a compliment to Zac that Teagan goes to him so well even though Zac is so busy with school. He obviously makes being a daddy a priority--what a blessing! I think it's definitely more of a rare find to have a man be so interactive with his children. I have an inkling that I'll be parent of choice #2 in our household someday too... :) Definitely something I won't complain about, though. Anyways...this is becoming a novel. I hope Teagan is doing well today, too! Seems that you did an incredible job with the whole ordeal. Teagan's lucky to have such a great mom!

Brian and Elise said...

It sounds like Teagan was a Trooper. Great job! Glad it went so well for all of you.

Megan said...

Awww! Is it weird that his little gown pictures made me tear up?? Until I saw the tie on over it.. lol! I'm glad it went okay and that you don't have to worry about it anymore!

Unknown said...

I know how you feel. There is absolutely nothing worse then sending you kid off to get surgery. You are lucky he got to have fluids though. When Declan had his surgery they didn't let him have any food or drink or anything for an entire day! Was the hernia in his belly button? Declan has one in his belly button and we're hoping that it will go away on its own too. I'm glad that he is doing well!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that it went so well! Thanks for the update. Take care.
Rebekah

Brenda said...

I'm glad everything went well! Marle has always been a daddy's girl and, same as you, I am grateful to have a husband that is such a good daddy too. It is a real bummer when they refuse to let you hold them when the other parent is around. But now does the opposite - he's a mommas boy - which is nice most of the time.

Brenda said...

Left Gabe out of that last part. OOPS.

KIM, ARNIE, AJ, RILEY, & DAISY said...

Hi! Yeah we live in escondido. What ward are you guys in? We're in San Pasqual. We were just in wisconsin for school and that is where we met teryn and jason. Thats crazy! But now we're back here (I'm from esco) and just lookig for a job! Small world!

Kris and Collette Scott said...

Glad to hear everything came out all right with Teagan. How are you guys? Looks like you are busy. Hey my family might be in San Diego in a couple of months- (1st of November) We don't know for sure if we are going in to San Diego yet but we are going to be in LA for a couple of days. Anyway, if we are in town we would love to see you guys. It has been forever. I think since Kris and I got married and that was just a couple of weeks before you guys got married. Anyway, I will let you know what our plans are. Hope it works out so we can see you.

Manda said...

First, Teagan is a strong boy with super hero parents! Second, Nyali hates jello too. Thank you Mellissa for th kind words. They mean alot to me. With you as my friend I have no idea why I ever get down. I love you so much. I hope that when we come and visit we can visit you too.