Saturday, May 23, 2015

Pocketknife Mania

Teagan got a leatherman pocketknife from his Grandpa Durtschi and he LOVES it.  The second he gets home from school he puts it on his belt with the knife and starts searching out opportunities to use it.  


When anybody is doing any sort of work, Teagan asks if he can help with his pocketknife. I think his favorite part is going back to Grandpa Durtschi and reporting what he's used it for.

He's helped cut wires, open cans, and cut strings and packaging.  When someone isn't in need of his super hero knife help, he whittles away at sticks, smoothing them out.  It is fun to watch him enjoy himself so much.

Unfortunately, of the two months he's had it, it has probably only been in his possession for half of that, because, at age 7, he still has a lot to learn about knife safety.  


Here are some reasons it's been confiscated (they are funny now that everyone is still alive).
-walking around with the blade out and haphazardly waving it
-trying to use it to cut valued possessions
-Trying to stab and kill a bothersome fly while jumping on the trampoline (when i witnessed this one, I about had a heart attack)
-Sneaking it to church and pulling it out during class for an object lesson...this deserves a story.  His teacher asked them what they would've had to leave behind if they had been part of Nephi's family. Teagan replied that he would've had to leave his clothes behind. Then his teacher asked what one item they would've brought into the wilderness. Teagan pulled out his pocketknife and said he would bring his pocketknife so that he could kill animals for food and shred their fur to make clothes.  Meanwhile, I was wrestling a tired baby in the foyer and I felt like I needed to check on him so I peeked through his class window as he was showing his knife off to friends.  I just opened the door and looked at him, quizzically, and he brought the knife right over, "dad said its okay to bring it to church..."  No comment on that...  When he told us about his lesson later that day, I was dying trying not to laugh as he told about what he would have done if he were Nephi.  I have to admit that I am pretty proud that Teagan had such a logical thought process.

Teagan is slowly learning how to be more responsible with his new found favorite tool, but teaching a 7 year old boy when and how to use a knife is no small undertaking.  Never a dull moment with our Teagan.

No comments: