Thursday, March 17, 2011

My dream come true

I made my first batch of homemade bread in 2006. In 2008 we started using homemade bread exclusively. Over the last few years I've accumulated everything I need to make the Ultimate homemade bread. It began with my bosch that I got as a wedding present from my bro and his wife. I borrowed a wheat grinder for a year and paid a loaf of warm bread to the owner every week to use it. That was until I got my wheat grinder for Christmas from my dad and stepmom. I got an electric knife to cut the bread a different Christmas and that made an incredible difference! All the while my mom let me borrow one of her large loaf pans...til I moved to Idaho and had to return it.

I decided that large loaf pans were something I couldn't live without so I started doing mind numbing product reviews to get money to Amazon.com and after thirty-one, 900 character reviews I saved enough for these 2 babies! They arrived on Monday of this week.
Aren't they beautiful??? I love them so much.
It's amazing that bread goes from small dough to terrific tasty loaves.
(Teagan get REALLY excited to lick the bowl when I'm done...not really my cup of tea)
And now my bread looks like tall, luscious bread instead of like a short, fat bread. I'm in love. I can't wait til we run out of bread so that I can make it again.

In case you want the world's best bread recipe, here it is.

Ingredients
3 tablespoons yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup warm water

6 cups whole wheat flour
3.75 cups warm water
2 tablespoons salt
5 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh or concentrate or use vinegar)
3/4 cup oil
3/4 cup sugar or honey

6-8 more cups whole wheat flour
2 large loaf pans

1. let yeast do the yeast thing
2. Mix in next group on medium for 10 minutes
3. Add enough flour so that the dough just pulls away from the edge then mix 5 minutes on medium
4. Make loaves and put in large loaf pans and let raise until doubled
5. Bake at 350 for 37-55 minutes (this is the variety that my family uses and we all use the same recipe!) I did mine 43 minutes and it was perfect for us.

ENJOY!

6 comments:

Blatter said...

Those loaf pans are intense! Love it! Miss you guys! Teagan is such a stud.

Julie said...

I must say, those loaves are BEAUTIFUL! Mine have never looked that good! You've got skills sister!

Megan said...

wow!! That is incredible looking bread, I'm very impressed!

brittneyboucha said...

hey melissa, your bread looks awesome! how are you doing? its been a long time since ive seen you!

Beth said...

your bread is beautiful!!! beats Great Harvest doesn't it? I'm sure proud of you!

Kim Sigety said...

Could you be anymore talented?! Your bread looks amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Baking bread just scares me so I don't even attempt it. lol