We were extremely impressed with the airline we flew with. We almost spent a full 24 hours on their airplanes so I feel it deserves a picture!
Every person got their own TV that had movies, sitcoms, radio, video games, and an itunes type library. All of that studying and reading we had planned for the plane went out the window REALLY fast!
They served pretty good food too! Constantly coming around with snacks and drinks, it was awesome!
We arrived in the evening so we spent the first day just walking around town. All of the sidewalks are cobblestone so my heels kept getting stuck and making me trip, we totally did not look like tourists!
I wanted to be fancy and cool so I ordered salmon, the silly chefs forgot to cook it. I tried to eat it and so did Zac, but we just couldn't stomach it.
Zac's meal was about Olive Garden quality. When we got our bill and figured out how many American Dollars it equated to we about died! It's one thing to pay a TON and get incredible food, but for mediocre food??? After this first meal we decided that we weren't going to be fancy with the food anymore. We ate at a lot of smaller more local shops and never passed up bakeries and ice cream stores. Those things were MUCH more impressive. :)
Down the streat was Amalionberg Palace, where the queen stays sometimes. The gaurds wore these wild fluffy hats, they were fun to watch.
The first morning we went on a tour of the city thanks to CBS studios. It was so cool to visit all the big cites and hear some of the history of Denmark. Christian IV was a crazy guy!
After a few hours in the city we discovered that EVERYONE rides bike in Denmark. There are literally hundreds of bikes everywhere. So we made our best purchase of the trip and rented 2 bikes for the remainder of our trip. They were so nice and easy to ride, way better than my Wal-mart mountain bike. I think that just riding around on our bikes is in my top 2 things that we did while in Copenhagen.
The downfall to the bikes: they are really fast and you loose your way quick! The first day with the bikes we were constantly pulling over and pulling out the maps. Zac got to know the streets really well by the end though and he lead us right through.
These were some fun electric cars that we saw.
Our church has a temple in Copenhagen so we went to visit it our first day. We rode our bikes all the way over there and did a session and it was really cool. There were about 10 or 15 missionaries in the session with us because one young man that had gotten baptized was going through the temple for the first time. He is from Greenland and was called to serve a mission in St. George, Utah. He is the first person from Greenland to ever serve a mission. It was really neat to be there, everyone was so excited. We met a couple great missionaries from Utah that were just finishing up their missions and are probably home by now. They recommended some GREAT things for us do to while in Copenhagen.
We ate a LOT of icecream cones while in Denmark. the waffle cones were to die for and they put tons of toppings on top. Behind me you can see Stroget street which is a walking street lined by store after store. Many of them are designer stores like Gucci and Boss, but they had H&M and Nike too. We didn't do tons of shopping, the window shopping was just as fun.
For some reason Denmark is famous for "The Little Mermaid Statue." We didn't get to see it becasue she is visiting China right now, but someone put a model on one of the rocks where she is supposed to be.
Zac made a much more beautiful version, though I begged, he wouldn't take off his shirt for the picture. just kidding :) Zac had a lot of elderly tourists laughing and snapping pictures of him, hahaha I was dying. I married to a funny guy, let me tell you.
By way of recommendation we decided to take the train about 30 miles north to the Fredricksborg Castle. It was well worth the trip. It is by far, the coolest architecture I've ever seen. We were both amazed at how well protected the castles are.
This is the other side of Fredricksborg castle. It is literally built in the middle of a lake.
There is a Baroque garden behind the castle that is perfect!
This theater is apparently "The largest cinima in Scandanavia." It sounded impressive and came highly recommended so we decided to try it out. They happened to be showing "Eclipse" so we went to a late showing one night. It was really fun, but too expensive, it was probably about the equivilent of an IMAX theater, without the stadium seating. Oh well, it was still fun. PS: I can't understand why I keep watching the Twilight movies. I guess I just keep thinking they'll get better and be as good as the books. Instead I leave feeling like a total dork. I promise, the books are way better!
We found a life size Woody made out of LEGOS, it was so cool.
Eating strawberry cheesecake at a cafe on Stroget Street. Half the fun was people watching everyone walking by.

This one might have been Zac's favorite. It is like the magic carpet ride at lagoon. It was so fun, and a little scary since you could hear everything creaking. 



Here's the video:We had such a blast at Tivoli! On the walk home (we had to return our bikes) we saw a bunch of street performers; magician, comedian, violinists, and crazy people. It was so fun and was the perfect ending to our trip.
Thank you CBS for an awesome trip to Denmark! And thanks for the Millenium Falcon Lego Set that will be used to pay for all our fun while we were there! It was fun to pretend that we were rich and to buy ice cream when we wanted it and to rent nice bikes, and see amazing sights.
My favorite part was just spending time with Zac. One morning we rode our bikes into this random place outside of the city center and just walked around. We visited a hospital and visited with the physiotherpist (Physical Therapist) about their socialized healthcare and her thoughts on that. We went to an appliance store and saw the WEIRD things they use in their kitchens. Just going into the local stores and visiting with locals was really fun. Zac and I got to be spontaneous and adventerous. We acted weird and laughed a lot. It was an excellent trip, I can't wait to take another. :)

7 comments:
WOW! Sounds like so much fun! I think you totally could have done 30 more pictures, I was loving it and all the stories. As I was reading through, I thought of a bunch of stuff I wanted to stay about your pictures, but I forgot. I will just say, I am glad you had so much fun! What a cool trip!
I so enjoyed your vacation through your pictures and your descriptions. What an amazing and fun time. Vacations can seem to last a nice long time without daily chores or kids to take care of. I'm so glad you had this incredible opportunity and took it! Looking forward to seeing you and family soon!
oh- i'm so happy for you guys!!! i loved you in your stretchy pants-- ow ow! and i LOVE your sweater too! you are just adorable melissa! it's a good thing you explained what was happening in the picture with zac on the rock... i really was convinced it was a merman on that rock. and you guys are freaks for going on that last ride... yikes, i'm such a baby when it comes to that stuff! again, it was fun to see you guys having super fun!
Melissa - you are such a good blogger: you make your trip come alive. It sounds like you two had a blast and really got a feel for the city as and got some good, relaxing, fun, twosome time in.
Thanks for sharing!
Jan
Denmark sounds amazing! Thanks so much for sharing!
It is still so crazy to me that you were on The Price is Right!! So glad you won all that awesome stuff. How fun to take a trip w/your hubby!
What an amazing trip!!! You guys were super brave to do those swings--I wouldn't want to!
Post a Comment