1. I totally messed up for father's day and Zac still loves me.
2. Zac grilled us the most delightful Father's Day Dinner
3. I am married to an incredible man who is THE best Dad in the world.
Why did I mess up? I forgot about cards. Cards for dads, grandpas, husbands, sons, brothers, all of them I totally forgot. I think it's because I put a lot of effort into mother's day or something. Instead of trying to do the belated thing I'm going to just apologize and realize that our Dad's will still love us and I'm going to do better next year.
I also had a great meal planned for dinner and a fun dessert, I just forgot to buy the ingredients and I didn't realize this until late on Saturday.
Everything turned out fine. The skewers had hamburger balls instead of bacon wrapped shrimp or steak and we just used more pineapple to make up for the lack of veggies.

They were delicious. :)Zac is quite a man and I'm barely starting to understand that. It wasn't until recently when I happened upon a most excellent blog (thelazyorganizer.com) that I realized I had too much control in our marriage. I was making basically all of the decisions and working out all the details. I thought I was doing Zac a favor because he's so busy with school, but I wasn't. Zac is a strong man who is very capable of being the head of our home, if I let him of course. We talked about some of the things I read on her blog (you'll have to go back a few weeks to get to her marriage posts) and decided to change the way we do things in our marriage a little.
I like to think of it like we're dividing the stress up equally. We still discus and make big decisions together, but I'm in charge of stressing out about the details at home (food, cleaning, child, groceries ect.) and he's in charge of stressing out about the bigger picture (finding a job, finding a place to live, making money, making sure we have prayers and scriptures ect). We have only been doing this for about a month and we're still working out lots of kinks. I'm sure that once Zac has graduated it will be easier. I've already noticed a big difference.
PS: I understand if you think I'm crazy and that is okay. I also understand that many of you think we divided things up incorrectly, that's okay, you can divide up your roles in your marriage the way that you would like to. :) This is how we've decided to do things.
I'm not going to go into all the details of the inter workings of our marriage because the whole point of me putting this on here is for me to say how amazing Zac is. When we decided that it's his job to decide where we are going to live (huge gasp, I know it's shocking) it took getting used to. But since then he has really shown his true colors. He is so considerate, constantly asking me what's important for me in a town we live in. He thinks of Teagan's needs. He thinks of our families. He is researching state taxes, job markets, and anything else you can learn about a city. He prays about it. Zac is the best Husband for me and I'm so grateful for the blood, sweat, and tears that he puts into making our family the best that he can. He puts Teagan and I first, and has his priorities straight. For that, I'm grateful this father's day season.
If you're one of those controlling girls (I think most of us are) try letting go of some control and allowing your husband to grow in their role as the husband and father in your home. I think guys are given such a bad name as being dumb or incapable in this world, but if the women just give them an opportunity, Men are actually pretty darn incredible.

2 comments:
We just had a talk last weekend about the same thing. I was feeling controlling and stressed, so we decided to divide responsibilities the same way (of course, it should always be that way, but we let other habits creep in). Love it! Love you!
I used to think I wanted to be the exact opposite of my parents, no way would I be the doting housewife, no way would my place be in the kitchen (teehee) but as I'm getting older I'm realizing that marriage is way more awesome when you let your man be a man. Mine behaves so much better when I don't emasculate him. :) And now I see that *gasp* my parents knew what they were doing and it sounds like you and Zac do too!
Post a Comment