Saturday, January 5, 2013

The big 5!

Teagan had his birthday on December 26th.  This year we decided to skip the half birthday and celebrate on the real day.  It was pretty low key.  The night before (Christmas) we put him to bed and then hurried and took down our Christmas decor and decorated for his birthday.  He was so excited when he woke up that it was special for his day.
 We let him open his presents right away, you'd think he was sick of opening presents after Christmas, but he somehow was still just as excited for more.
"What's heavy heavy hangover???"

 Best game ever!!!  He thought the whole smacking the present on your head thing was hilarious!
 He's been begging for play doh for quite some time now, it's probably been a couple years that he asks and I just say no.  Mostly because I hate the stuff, but we finally relented and he was thrilled.  Play doh Chuck the dump Truck toys entertained him pretty much all day.  It was fabulous.
 We went to blast off with his cousins and the highlight was when Uncle Jake and his buddies gave Teagan ALL of their tickets that they won playing skee ball.  It was around 600 so he got to pick out lots of fun stuff.

Forever he's been asking for a superman cake.  He changed last minute to Iron man, I promptly forgot and still made the superman cake.  Ooops.  He just laughed and said "Mom, I thought you were going to make an Iron Man cake"  Me: "oh yeah! I forgot!" Teagan: "It's okay, I love Superman too!"  Bless his sweet little heart.


Teagan is such a fun and sweet boy.  We love him so much and can't get enough of his hilarity.

Some Highlights:

-He has developed an awesome sense of humor.  He is constantly doing and saying funny little things to trick us or make us laugh.  I'm so glad he's trying to move past the hitting-himself-in-the-face-to-make-us-laugh stage.  Still does it to make friends laugh, but he's developing a much more keen sense of humor for us.  I wish I could remember more of the funny stuff he says.

-He is the BEST older brother to Eloise.  He is super protective.  The other day I was changing her diaper and she was trying to crawl away and used my serious voice and held her down and told her to stay (I wasn't hurting her, but she screamed like I cut off a limb).  Teagan comes running in "Mom!  You can't hurt my sister!"  I explained to him and he promptly ran for her favorite toy that plays music and proceeded to sing and dance for her until I finished.  She, of course, cheered right up.  This sort of thing is a daily occurrence.  He is very aware of her needs and where she is at and is constantly protecting her from falling down the stairs, eating small foods, climbing in the dishwasher, playing in the toilet, feeling sad for any reason...  She adores him for it.  I hope that they are always best buddies!

-He is learning to read.  I love seeing him figure out words and learn, it is so magical.  We have some great book sets that we use and then we read the scriptures every night and on his turn we just help him and it takes about 5 minutes for his turn.  He loves being read to as well.  His favorite series this year was "The Mouse and the Motorcycle" series.  Me and Zac are loving it too!  He really wants us to read Harry Potter, but I'm holding off until he is a little older and has had more practice listening.

-His favorite toys to play with these days are his transformers from Christmas.  Before that he was obsessed with little legos and building things with them (usually some form of a transformer).  He loves to play superheros, but we're trying to steer him towards less violent activities.

My favorite time with him is when we are reading books together.  We snuggle on the couch and sometimes 10 minutes turns into an hour or two.  I love it so much.  Sometimes I don't really know how to relate to that wild child, but we both love  books and stories and I love having that to share with him.

I can't believe he's 5!  He is growing and changing so fast and the more I get to know him, the more I love that little man.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I love that Teagan, he is a special one!!