The insanity is momentarily over, May should hopefully be extremely boring! I would LOVE a boring month, or even two if you don't mind. We're home and sick, which means we are taking it easy, which I'm loving.
Teagan has been a trooper, here are some delights he's blessed us with to keep us smiling.
We've been memorizing scriptures each night and did on about the Resurrection for the week before Easter. It says
"The bodies and the spirits of men will be restored, one to the other, by the power of the resurrection."
He was trying to remember it and said
"The bodies and the spirits of men will be restored, one to the other, by the power....to READ! (This is from one of his favorite PBS cartoons "Super Why", they always say that they have the power to read)
Teagan has an imaginary friend, Coney. (said like Coney Island). Coney talk has been going on for at least 6-8 months. I kept thinking he'd grow out of it, but everyday he has something to report about Coney. He occasionally "plays" and "talks" with Coney where he'll play the parts of both of them (HILARIOUS to watch him having a two person conversation, one will say a joke and then the other will laugh), most of the time they are fighting though. Coney is usually doing naughty things and Teagan scolds him (he sounds frightfully similar to me!). Just in the last week or two he's been experimenting:
Teagan was sitting on a box in the middle of a room facing the middle of the room (the TV was in a box)
T: "Coney! stop turning off the TV! I'm trying to watch some kid cartoons, turn it back on" sighs "thank you"
At dinner (we're trying to discourage "bathroom talk" at the table)
"Mom, Coney almost said 'poop' at dinner, but he didn't."
After I told Teagan not to touch the computer mouse and I left the room, he comes running down the hall
T:"Mom, Coney touched the mouse!"
M: "oh no! He needs to go to time out"
T:" okay I'll tell him...Coney you have to go to time out because you are naughty...no...you have to because mom said..." comes running back "okay mom, he's in time out now"
It's like I'm raising two kids! I don't have time to put two children in timeout. :) I try to listen carefully to what he says because I know a lot of it is just him mimicking me and Zac and how we talk to him. Coming out of a three year old's mouth, some of the things I say sound pretty mean so it's a good chance to make changes in how I talk! I think some of it is mimicking his cousins that have siblings too and of course TV. These conversations and happening occur daily, especially on days where he is happy to play on his own.
Just for fun, why do you think he's created an imaginary friend?
I'm got about a million projects I want to do at our house, but this is one that I'm hoping to do in the next month or two. They are bookshelves made out of rain gutters, crazy I know. I read about them in "The Read Aloud Handbook" and then googled them to get more ideas. They are a bookshelf that allows the front of the book to show. I'm kind of in love with the idea, but I haven't decided how many and where and what style I'm going to be doing.
Next to the bed is nice, for easy nighttime stories.


3 comments:
Coney makes me laugh so much, that Teagan is so hilarious! I think he is living vicariously through Coney. Just thinking about it makes me smile!
I LOVE those bookshelves, you're making me want to do those!
I love that book! And man, you found some super cute examples!!!
Melissa!!!! I love your blog, it rocks, it makes me miss you guys more though!!
Post a Comment