Teagan is doing pretty dang good, but today has been really hard. Since this morning I've known that he needs to go #2. He'll strip off his underwear and run to the potty and when he gets close to the bathroom he starts crying "no, no" and run back to get his undies on. He has told me 40-50 times that he needs to go today with about 35 of those times resulting in nothing. It is driving me nuts!
I try to be patient. I just run him into the bathroom when he tells me it's time. I try to get him on the potty before he has a chance to think about it, but he will only sit there for about 1 second before he tells me he's all done.
I feel bad for him, he's got this worried expression on cause he's holding back and I'm sure it doesn't feel pleasant.
We've tried lots of things. I even made him a magic wand to hold while he goes so it's "not scary and doesn't hurt." I've even thought about letting him get started in the underwear and letting him finish via potty, but he rips off his underwear first so that won't work. Suggestions are welcome, please. Is this going to just go away, should I just stick to it and keep on with the patience? I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE! :)
Veggie Smoothies
16 years ago

3 comments:
I don't know if it has anything to do with your situation, but my son saw his poop and pee as a part of himself and didn't like to see it flushed away. It may just be a matter of you letting him leave it in the potty for a while, then flushing it when he isn't around. I realize he has to actually go first, though. :)
Here are a couple of things.
1. Kate went in her diaper, and I think it kind of relieved the backup because she had been holding it, then when she went in the potty, it was just little poops, which maybe made it easier.
2.We made a big deal about how fun it would be to watch the poop go in circles and circles and circles, so that got Kate excited. (of course that could give him the idea to send other things in circles too!)
Have you tried putting a stool under his feet? many times children are use to pooping standing up or squatting-
also he may be use to the pressure that a diaper provides so placing a towel over his legs may help him to sit longer.
there are also great books and videos to help kiddos understand. let me know i can make you a list.
i have also used social stories many times to help kiddos with the potty. Social stories are short books with pictures starring the child. It a great way to personalize the event and put it into simple instructions for him.
Post a Comment