Monday, July 8, 2013

My Patriotic Little Boy


Teagan loves this song and has been singing "I'm proud to be an American" ever since we saw Lee Greenwood sing it in person at the firework show.  We've been spending a lot of time in the car and Teagan has been wanting to hear stories from history.  The more he learns about the nasty bad guys, Hitler, King George etc., our soldiers protect us from, and the freedoms we enjoy that others don't get, the louder and prouder he sings.  

We are going to Hawaii next year with Zac's family so I told Teagan about Pearl Harbor and how he'd get to see it.  He was so sad for the soldiers who were killed and is looking forward to visiting Pearl Harbor.  History has an interesting way of teaching compassion, I was amazed at his little heart understanding and feeling for people that he'd never met.  

I've always wanted to teach my kids honesty, faith, love, charity, courage and such, but I'm pretty sure patriotism should be added to the list of virtues too.  In watching Teagan experience being truly patriotic for the first time in his life, I've noticed a big, positive change in him.  I don't quite understand it, but I like it.  

No comments: